About Jackie Brookman, MFT
I am a long time psychotherapist with a thriving private practice in Oakland and San Francisco. I am fortunate to have the support of a loving family, wonderful friends and longtime colleagues. I have two offices in Oakland and an office in San Francisco.
My background working as a trainer, facilitator and educator in community-based settings and hospitals has informed my role as a psychotherapist. I bring a great deal of sensitivity, multi-cultural awareness, and a deep appreciation of diversity in all its forms. My practice welcomes to all ethnicities, sexual orientations and cultures.
AIDS Health Project, San Francisco:
- Disclosed HIV-test results to men and women at high risk for HIV/AIDS and trained other health care providers and counselors throughout California and internationally: Ghana, Uganda, Kenya and South Africa.
Measure Y, Oakland:
- Conducted a series of substance abuse and mental health assessments for young men released from San Quentin prison who were transitioning back into Alameda County.
Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers:
- Facilitated team building with medical teams and conducted trainings for nurses and medical assistants throughout the Bay Area to increase multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- State Office of AIDS
- San Francisco Department of Health
- KidWISE Institute, Common Sense Wisdom for Raising Safe and Sound Kids
- STD Training Center
Education and Training
- BA in history from the University of Massachusetts, 1975
- MA in Psychology from New College of CA, 1984
- Licensed Marriage, Family Therapist, California, 1986 License no. CA, MFT 021229
- New Ventures West, Coaching Program, 1997
Since 2011, my professional development has focused on gaining competence in interpersonal neurobiology, attachment theory and mind-body techniques for emotional regulation. I’ve observed that implementing a mind-body approach to counseling enables my clients to regulate their emotions so they have more control, efficacy and a lot more satisfaction in their lives.
Partial List of Trainings and Continuing Education
- Somatic-attachment (mind/body) psychotherapy with Karen Rachels, MFT
- Sensory Motor Training, Part 1 and Part 2, Janina Fisher, PhD
- Interpersonal neurobiology with Bonnie Banandoch, MFT
- Hakomi Method of Experiential Therapy, Karen Rachels, MFT
- IFS: Internal Family Systems, Janina Fisher, PhD
- The Body Keeps Score, Addressing Developmental Trauma, Bessel Van Der Kirk
Beyond offering sound clinical skills to my work as a therapist, I also bring a big heart, a sense of humor and a healthy dose of creativity. I am committed to creating a dynamic and safe environment where change always feels possible.
Please, join me on this healing journey!
Contact me for a free-15 minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you.